11 June 2011

Thesis Cake



A very special someone turned in their thesis! That's right, a whole fricken thesis. So in honor of him and in a mini-celebration I made him a yummy

Coffee-Yam Cake with Banana Frosting (Vegan).


I searched online for a Coffee Cake recipe..but then realizing that Coffee Cake doesn't even use coffee..I decided to go with Chocolate Vegan Cake with a shit ton of love and coffee.


 I followed this Swedish recipe for Chocolate Gooey Cake..My one rule with vegan anything is that they shouldn't be able to tell it is Vegan..so I was pretty down for 'gooey'. 

Anywho, I start pulling out the ingredients..and quickly stop. There were four: flour, sugar, vegan butter and cocoa powder..

So instead, I decided to make my own recipe..that is right, my own..full of Anise, Yams, Tofu...
Ingredients:
    1/4 C. Vegan Butter
    2/3 C. Raw Sugar
    1/2 C. Cocoa Powder
    2 1/2 C. Flour
    1 tsp. Vanilla, Nutmeg and Cinnamon
    1 tsp. Baking Soda and Powder    
    1 C. pureed Yams + 1/2 C. Coffee
    1 handfull of Raspberries
   








  Mix all of the dry ingredients into one bowl, and the dry into another.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and you will bake for about 40 minutes to an hour, depending.

    

Add in any other yummy treats that I didn't think of and butter the pan* of your choice. I found this mini-bundt cake pan with cute design at Goodwill. My sweet got it for me...best present ever!!






Frosting...yikes this part of the experiment did not turn out too good...I tried and tried so hard until it was simply disgusting. I was going for coffee icing, but all I had was tofu. I have used tofu in the past for frosting, and it is fantastic..I had one of my housemates pick me up some tofu, and yuck! It was the extra firm, when for frosting you need extra silky (my fault, I didn't specify). Anywho, the entire thing a disaster waiting to happen..I will bear you the recipe, and just share the photos.








This may be the cutest coffee machine ever. It's not mine..but Juliana's who just left on her way to Brazil for an entire year..yikes!






I think I might have liked the size of the cake more than the cake itself..woops! Confession to my obsession with little things there..)






And lastly, the Thesis Cake was a surprise, and so I hid it in the big pot that I had borrowed. Good hiding spot in my eyes.. ; )












No comments:

Post a Comment