22 August 2011

Language Barriers.

The best part about working with campesinos is the feedback.

I was doing the participatory evaluations for community close-outs and my oh my, I think I would spend hour trying to ask one single question. Finally, towards the end of the evaluation (I did all of mine as one-on-one interviews) I would ask, and do you have any specific recommendations, suggestions or concerns for potential future years?

The answer:

  • I think that they had a really hard time communicating. 
  • I had a lot of trouble understanding them, more often than not, I had absolutely no idea what they were trying to tell me. 
  • I think that in future years their Spanish should be better,               the students would just stare at them.
  • They should teach us English, and we will teach them Spanish.

1 comment: