22 August 2011

No Sugar Vegan Fruit Jambalaya ('Tart')

I absolutely love birthdays, and it is sort of a thing that I must bake something for someone if it is their special day. I thought it would be fun to make a fruit tart, trying to think of something that didn't use  any sugar (the person could not have sugar in their diet) so I came up with this. 


When I actually made it, I soon learned that this is nothing what a fruit tart is, so instead I call it 'Fruit Jambalaya', and I think it came out quite smashing.

The directions (loosely) are the following:





  • Graham cracker crust, take graham crackers and agave and blend them up (food processor preferred.) Press firmly into a pie pan and bake for ten minutes at 350 degrees. 
  • Meanwhile start on the gooey inside, this can be created in a number of ways: quinoa, rice pudding, pudding (this has sugar), tapioca, or taro-choose your poison and let it simmer, adding stevia (a natural sweetener) blending when necessary (quinoa). For an extra dash of fun, depending on the fruit in season you can juice partially some and steal the color (blueberries or strawberries). *If you are using a non-traditional filling, try a banana or tofu blended to add extra creaminess.
  • Cut up your fruit and then pile the inside and the topping, add some coconut to garnish and bam, you got yourself some jambalaya..or close enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment