08 May 2011

Spinach Spanakopita


  This was my attempt at Spinach Spanakopita- I have never made it in my life, and I was also to naive to think using a recipe would be a good idea.

  I ended up making some yummy stuff, but let's just say it was not Spanakopita. From my mistakes I would suggest the following:

  De-thaw the Phyllo Dough by placing in the fridge the night before, when you unwrap it, place a damp towel on top of it.

  Cut the Phyllo in half, so you have strips, coat these with Olive Oil (substitute for butter.)

  Using fresh Spinach or frozen, wash and rinse and put to the side.








       Traditionally, you use Feta Cheese, I went with Goat just because I like it so much-

  Oven should be about 370 degrees, and you will bake 10 minutes and then flip them- you want a nice golden coloring.

The technique comes in when you role them up-


   Spanakopita comes in triangles, so you have to start at one end. Place all of the goodies one role's distance from the very end. Fold the excess flap over. Now start roling alternating sides to that a firm triangle appears. Use hot water to hold the Phyllo together. Once they are all ready, place on a cookie sheet-brush with Olive Oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment